In retail, there are always new trends to keep up with. One example of a trend that has been gaining traction with customers for some time now is window shopping. But, what is window shopping?
Let’s get a grasp on the specifics of the situation.
What Is the Meaning of Window Shopping?
Window shopping refers to going from one retail establishment to another — or even from one e-commerce website to another — to look at the merchandise on sale.
It is open to everyone, customers can use it at their leisure, and there are no time limits; yet, depending on the person’s personality, it can affect the shopper’s financial situation. Some individuals merely use it to kill time and daydream, while others do it to get inspiration or acquire information on the latest trends.
Window shopping is going to a shopping center or retail store merely to peruse the merchandise displayed there, without any intention of purchasing any kind.
What Is Digital Window Shopping?
Like every other aspect of our day-to-day lives, window shopping has also transitioned to its digital representation. This became clear when business owners observed that customers were too preoccupied with their mobile devices to notice their attractive window displays.
Online shopping gives consumers a wider selection of products than ever before. In addition, people prefer to seek goods to buy online for various reasons, including that it is more convenient, there are more options, and evaluations are readily available.
Window shopping online has become an increasingly popular habit that gives many individuals a sense of relief. They see it as a way to escape their boring and monotonous occupations. Simply putting an item in their shopping basket can be enough to improve how they are feeling in several instances.
A Win-Win Situation in Every Way
Regarding giving customers the best possible window shopping experience, retailers such as Zara and Selfridges have already made great strides. These retailers have transformed their storefront windows into enormous screens and used QR codes and augmented reality (AR).
Tesco, a supermarket chain, has also implemented this strategy to make purchasing groceries for clients more straightforward.
Gucci, another brand name virtually associated with fashion, uses mannequins that interact with digital images. In addition, they provide customers the opportunity to receive an experience that is wholly immersive by providing them with VR headsets.
Advantages of Window Shopping for Consumers?
- Stress buster: There are those people who can spend hours at a store looking at shoes, clothes, electronics, books, and anything else you can think of. Window shopping is an excellent way to pass the time in a laid-back setting outside of your home, and it provides you an excuse to get up, get dressed, and spend a few hours mingling with other people. Simply roaming around in a shopping mall can elevate one’s mood, making window shopping an effective form of retail therapy in its own right.
- Keeping up with the most recent fashion trends: Window shopping is a great way to stay updated on the most recent fashions, styles, and preferences available in the market, even though it is impossible to purchase every item. One’s knowledge of the goods available on the market is expanded and improved as a result, and one also becomes aware of the most recent sales and discounts.
- Discover new cafes and eating establishments: While we may emphasize newly released products, we also note what’s popular and what’s not. Window shopping gives us the chance to learn about new eateries, restaurants, and cafés in the area, any of which may become possible hangout areas for us in the future.
- Brand new, exciting photographs for social media: These things, whether they be interesting decorations, the most recent designs, or a fascinating exhibit at the mall, are fantastic opportunities to increase the number of likes you have on social media.
- You don’t need to spend money: The most obvious benefit of window shopping is the ability to see what’s available. One is free to take time, relax, and take in everything that various brands offer without feeling pressured to make a purchase. There is no sense of urgency and no concerns over the finances.
Disadvantages of Window Shopping for Consumers?
We see window shopping as having positive and negative aspects, just like any other type of shopping. The following are the two primary drawbacks associated with this phenomenon:
- It can cause you to make irrational purchases: Due to the persuasive nature of many shops, customers frequently purchase items they do not require regularly. The seductive quality of window shopping contributes to this phenomenon as well.
- The effect of inflation is to defeat the purpose: Generally, prices can go only in one direction, which is up. When you come across an item, its price may be reasonable at the moment, but its price may have increased by a few notches in the following months, making it either unaffordable or not worth the price.
How to Convert Window Shoppers to Buyers?
We have now covered the characteristics of window shoppers and the motivations behind why individuals enjoy window shopping. Now is the moment to concentrate on turning these potential customers into paying clients. We have already accomplished the first objective: to encourage them to enter the store; the next purpose is to convince them to make a purchase. Follow the steps below to convert window shoppers to buyers:
Recognize the Layout of the Store, and Position Your Employees Appropriately
First, figure out which areas of your store have the greatest concentration of people window shopping there. Putting friendly employees in charge of certain store areas will unquestionably contribute to a rise in sales.
Pay Attention to What Sets You Apart from Others
Make it clear to your customers why they should pick you over the other option rather than your rival. These may include the pricing, the variety of products, the quality, the location, and the after-sales support.
Nudge Them By Encouraging Small Actions
Meaningful encounters can result in sales at a later point in time. Some examples of meaningful interactions include giving away free food samples, encouraging individuals to try on different clothing, and handing people company cards.
Be Their Guide
Once you have a general idea of what the customer is looking at, you should make an effort to provide some recommendations to them. For instance, if they are considering laptops, you may ask them questions such as:
- What purposes, professional or personal, do they plan to put it to?
- Have they made plans to make use of it while they are away?
- Are they planning on engaging in labor-intensive activities on the laptop, such as playing video games or creating graphics?
Make recommendations for products to them based on their responses, doing your best to anticipate their needs. Even if they don’t buy something right away, they will remember how knowledgeable you are and will likely return later.
Is there something that customers find difficult to deal with? Locate the problematic areas and address them as soon as possible. These problems could result from long lines at the checkout counter, a lack of products in stock, or an absence of salespeople with enough product knowledge.
Create a Memorable Experience
Provide the customer with the deserved amount of attention. For example, the person in question may be a repeat client, but it is also possible that they are just browsing the store for the first time. Every single client wants to feel like they are appreciated and unique.
Smile when you see your customers, treat them respectfully, and eliminate any unnecessary friction in their experience. This will go a long way toward building up the patronage of existing customers.
How to Convert Digital Window Shoppers to Buyers?
One must not forget about the ever-expanding group of people who only shop online window displays and must also work to convert them. This is the procedure that websites should follow.
Create an Intuitive Experience
Your website needs to have a user interface (UI) that is so straightforward and easy to browse that even a little child could figure it out. In addition, it needs to get optimized for use across various platforms, including mobile phones, tablets, and laptop computers.
Offer Support Via Live Chat
Your website must provide live chat assistance since this enables users to quickly receive answers to any questions or concerns that they may have.
Reviews By Customers Are Very Important
One of the most important pieces of information companies should include on their website is a collection of reviews written by customers who have used your product or service or visited your website. The viewers will feel more at ease if you go to extraordinary lengths to ensure the integrity of your evaluations.
Your consumers are sure to be pleased if you offer a variety of payment choices, including credit cards, Stripe, PayPal, and cash on delivery. This gives them more freedom, sure to make them happy. In addition, this will enhance the customer’s overall experience, making them more likely to purchase if the payment process is streamlined and protected.
Final Words – What Is Window Shopping
E-commerce and online shopping is gaining widespread popularity in India, and the Indian e-commerce market will increase by 21.5% in 2022.
Window shoppers are an essential component of the retail ecology, regardless of whether the store is brick and mortar or online. Your company could have extremely negative consequences if you choose to disregard them. But, on the other hand, those sales may skyrocket with the appropriate effort from your end.
Also, if you are interested in knowing what is thrift shopping?, check out our guide!